RedFan Chinese Dance Society
Red Fan Chinese Dance Society is a non-profit organisation, founded in 2005, whose aim is to promote traditional Chinese dance culture throughout the UK.
It is the Red Fan’s mission to broaden the perception of what Chinese dance is; to promote Chinese performing arts in a newly emerging and changing UK-Chinese culture; to preserve the Chinese culture and traditions of the past and blend them with the present and future.
Red Fan have participated in numerous performances during Chinese New Year and Chinese National Day celebrations in many cities, and our artists have taken part in various international cultural exchange activities representing China such as the International Student Festival, the Edinburgh Festival Cavalcade 2006 and the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. our dancers won many awards in Chinese national, Hong Kong and international dance competitions.
Red Fan created a variety of new pieces that combine traditional and contemporary Chinese culture and dances. Chinese dances are mainly divided into two groups: Chinese ethnic/folk dances, and Chinese classical (traditional) dances. Chinese folk dances include many different styles as there are fifty-six different ethnic groups in Chinese territory and each has their own dance style. The same group may have a large variety of different dance styles due to the five thousand year history and over ten different dynasties. Sometimes it is easy to tell the difference of each type by the costumes, props and music. Most classical dances are remade within the last century with reference to historic books and paintings.
‘Red Fan’ dance Society would like to thank all our supporters.
“Dancing across East and West Moving to the Tempo of China”
Red fan seeks to produce creatively ambitions and quality Chinese dance work. It strives to develop the vision and maintain the integrity for which it has gained a reputation as the UK leading group of Chinese dancers.
It is the troupe’s mission to broaden the perception of what Chinese dance is; to preserve and promote Chinese performing arts and culture in a newly emerging and changing UK-Chinese culture; to preserve the Chinese performing arts and traditions of the past and blend them with the present and the future. Its training programme is integral to this aim, seeking to support and inspire all participants to achieve their own aspiration.
In support of the above the group works hard though its marketing and audience development strategy to ensure that all its activities reach widest audience both nationally and internationally.
- 2011, 02 Performed at Manchester City Council’s New Year celebration.
- 2011, 02 Performed at Manchester China Town Association’s New Year celebration.
- 2011, 02 Performed at Stockport Council’s New Year celebration
- 2011, 02 Workshop at Leeds, Surrey, Royal Armouries, and Walkden
- 2011.02 Performed at Manchester City Library
- 2011.01 Workshop at Chesterfiled
- 2011.01 Performed at lancaster Chinese New Year Festival
- 2010.12 Performed at Chinese Business Association's New Year celebration
- 2010.10 Performed at St. George India Orthodoy Church fund raising event
- 2010.10 Workshop for Rolls-Royce
- 2010.10 Workshop for one world at Stock-on-Trend
- 2010.10 Performed at CSSA Manchester's Chinese National Day Gala
- 2010.09 Performed at Diversity Nite-UK Labour annual celebration
- 2010.09 Performed at Kensington Palace, London
- 2010.09 Workshop at Stock-on-Trend
- 2010.08 Performed for Mission Kolkata funding raising event
- 2010,06 Workshop at Prestwich, Wigan, Sheffield & Stock-on-Trent
- 2010,06 Workshop at Raqs Britannia belly dance festival
- 2010,06 Special guest performer for Raqs Britannia belly dance festival
- 2010,06 Performed at annual ball of Durham University College
- 2010,05 Performed at Bridge College’s Multi-cultural Day
- 2010,05 Workshop at Oldham & Stockport
- 2010,05 Performed at Adswood Primary School, Stockport
- 2010,05 Special choreography & performed at The-Red-Knot drama show MMU
- 2010,05 Performed at Northwest poetry festival for Manchester Chinese Centre
- 2010,04 Performed at ‘A Flavour of China’ fund-raising event of Leeds City Council
- 2010,04 Workshop at Cheshire
- 2010,03 Special choreography & performed at Grafton Exhibition Ceremony of the Whitworth Art Gallery
- 2010,03 Workshop at Blackburn
- 2010,02 Workshop at, Backwell, Liverpool, Derby, Doncaster & York
- 2008,09 Performed at London Lord Mayor's Appeal 2008
- 2008,07 Performed at BBC Manchester’s Silk-day ceremony
- 2008,05 Performed at Manchester Chinese Business Association’s fundraising event for the China earthquake
- 2008,03 Performed at the York Chinese Business Association’s opening ceremony
- 2008,02 Performed at Manchester Chinese Business Association’s fundraising event for the China snow disaster
- 2008,02 Performed at Manchester China Town Association’s Chinese New Year Gala
- 2008,02 Performed at CSSA Manchester’s Chinese New Year Gala
- 2007,09 Performed at CSSA Manchester’s Chinese National Day Gala
- 2007,06 Performed for Great Britain’s Special Olympic Fundraising Banquet
- 2007,03 Performed at Dance Initiative Great Manchester’s Annual Show
- 2007,02 Performed at Bristol music event
- 2007,02 Workshop for Bristol music event
- 2007,02 Performed at CICA London’s Chinese New Year Gala
- 2007,02 Performed at Leeds City Council’s.Link-China event
- 2007,02 Performed at CSSA Manchester’s Chinese New Year Gala
- 2007,02 Performed at Hertfordshire University Association’s Chinese New Year Gala
- 2007,02 Performed at Newcastle University’s Chinese New Year Gala
- 2007,02 Performed at Newcastle Chinese Business Association’s Chinese New Year Gala
- 2007,02 Performed at CSSA Sunderland’s Chinese New Year Gala
- 2006.10 Performed at Manchester China Town Business Association’s Chinese National Day Gala
- 2006,10 Performed at Manchester City Council’s Diversity and Black history event
- 2006,10 Performed at Manchester City Council’s Chinese National Day Gala
- 2006,09 Performed at Birmingham Overseas Chinese Business Association’s Chinese National Day Gala
- 2006,08 Special show at Edinburgh Fringe Festival
- 2006,07 Guest performance for Warwick HOST Conference Entertainment 2006
- 2006,07 Model for photo shoot in London
- 2006,04 Performed at Manchester’s International Students Festival
- 2006,02 Performed at Leeds City Council’s Chinese New Year Gala
- 2006,01 Performed at CSSA Manchester’s Chinese New Year Gala
- 2005,09 Performed at CSSA Manchester’s Chinese National Day Gala
*Check our gallery please